Monday, December 19, 2011

Dairy free,no added sugar pumpkin pie recipe

Don't let the title fool ya', this pumpkin pie is extremely tasty. I am by no means on a dairy free or sugar free diet, but I am all about trying healthy versions of my favorite desserts. While doing some recipe blog searches I found a few recipes that weren’t using condensed milk which is loaded with sugar, but still added up to 1 1/2 cups of added sugar. So instead, I went with 1/2 cup of Stevia (all natural sweetener made from plants, I used the Truvia brand) and almond milk (dairy free). I took the recipe one step further and went with a frozen spelt pie crust  because I like the texture a lot. It doesn’t seem to crumble as much as regular wheat crusts. So there you have it, a desert that satisfies two food allergies, zero added sugar, and somehow still tastes amazing.



Filling:
1 can pure pumpkin (1 pound size – the “one-pie” size)
4 large eggs (more eggs needed because no condensed milk)
½ cup Truvia
½ teaspoon salt
1 ½  teaspoons cinnamon
½  teaspoon ground ginger
½  teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
¼  teaspoon allspice
¼  teaspoon ground cloves
1 ½ cups almond milk


Mix it all up and pour into your uncooked  9" spelt pie shell. Put it in a preheated oven at 425 for 12-15 min then turn it down to 350 degrees for another 30-40min. It may take a little longer depending on your oven. This guilt free delight has less than 200 kcal per serving if you can get 12 pieces out of your pie. Enjoy!


Get moving. Keep moving.

Ian

No comments:

Post a Comment