Saturday, November 12, 2011

Filling the void

How many people are still looking for a way to stay active? One of the most difficult things about living a healthy lifestyle is consistency and finding ways to stay fit with fun activities and goals that will keep us motivated. I myself am no different.

Three years ago I was sitting in a cubicle in Boston going through the motions with my career with little drive or reason to stay fit. I had played competitive rugby for a while but there was a point where the game had taken its toll on my body and I lost motivation. Thus, a void was created. I didn't have a reason to go to the gym or stay fit because there wasn't any accountability for my fitness. I didn't have to worry about letting teammates down on the field anymore. In turn, I put on a few pounds, I had lost my drive for maintaining my fitness.

What I still had was a competitive nature that needed some direction. So I decided to try and get back in shape the oldsschool way, running. The draw was that it was so simple. I could compete with myself everyday. Maybe run the loop around my neighborhood a little faster than the day before, or maybe run a little further than the day before. Needless to say, I was hooked, I filled my fitness void. I was hooked so much in fact that I quit my job, became a personal trainer and started working on a Masters in Exercise Science.

Now, I help others fill their fitness void everyday, it is extremely rewarding. I am biased when I say running is the best way to stay fit, but it is what works for me. That's the key, find out what works for you. Maybe its indoor cycling and group exercise classes or outdoor boot camps with some friends. Keep searching and you will find it. Before you know it, you will have a little routine going and boom, void filled.

Get moving, keep moving,

Ian

No comments:

Post a Comment